Looking for some nutritious snacks at work without all the prep time? There are just some days we all don’t even have time to use the restroom, so why would we have time to go out to lunch let alone prepare lunch the night before? The alternative then becomes the processed, sodium packed foods you find in your frozen food aisle at the grocery store, salad bar at work or the nearest food emporium. This can not only become expensive but it tends to typically contain hidden calories and fat even though you think you are eating healthy!
The other option is taking time to meal prep on Sunday or the night prior. Now I’m a huge proponent and love to prep, but with life, work, families and etc. it sometimes becomes an impossible feat. Most of us are not in the business of body building and have many other priorities so it becomes this monster of a task to have healthy prepared meals in advance. Now in the absence of having prepared meals, you start to snack and if you were any where like I do, the snacks are NOT healthy!
I’m here to help make this easy and take out the guess work and added stress. I’ve had numerous creative trials with my office snacks & lunches and as long as you have a few simple ingredients it takes 2 minutes to create something delicious and nutritious.
Things to pack for this easy snack.
- Plain Greek Yogurt. I prefer Fage or Siggi’s plain because they are low in sugar (<5g) and high in protein (15-17g) per 150g container (or individual size).
- Granola. Whether it’s prepared or homemade the secret is to look for natural granola without the sugar. My gauge is typically to search for granola with 10g of sugar or less, which is hard to find!
- Fresh Fruit. Always have some on hand to add to any smoothie or bowl. Berries and bananas are a staple for me because they are easy to add. While traveling a banana and apple work great.
- Protein Powder. No matter where I am, its always on me. Either opt for a small container or the single serve pouches are great for carrying in your purse, suitcase, cupboard, laptop bag for work and etc. Never leave home without it. I prefer plant based options like Plant Fusion, SunWarrior, VegaOne, Garden of Life and many more.
- Superfoods. I buy bulk hemp seeds, dried goji berries, chia seeds, maca powder, spirulina and more to have on hand at all times. These can be easily added to any smoothie or bowl and are easy to take in small plastic containers or ziploc bags. There are many health food stores that also sell individual pouches of these items as well.
- Mix a scoop of the protein powder(or 1 serving size) with the greek yogurt (1 serving size). Once you have formed a good mixture that is evening mixed you are ready to add the toppings.
- Chop up 1/2 banana and lay the slices on the mixture
- Add your fresh or dried fuit
- Add 1-2 tbsp of granola
Sprinkle with your superfoods and you are ready to enjoy a tasty protein packed snack!
Let me know your thoughts on what you like to see posted! I’m no journalism major by any counts but I love sharing healthy recipes, workouts, and just inspiring in any other way I can to help YOU lead a healthy life.